Friday, January 11, 2013

Making Stock Art Look Good

Making Stock Art Look Good
stock graphic design
Image by tmcNYC
Read blog post:
mydesignhaus.blogspot.com/2010/01/design-day-making-stock...

This is part of my New Years' Resolution to design something everyday.

See all of the Design a Day posts:
mydesignhaus.blogspot.com/search/label/Design a Day


Graphic Design
stock graphic design
Image by ClaraDon
Click the image for a better view

Model from ERIEYE-STOCK in Deviant Art


American Graphic Design
stock graphic design
Image by Alki1
1968 cover that I designed for the Midwest Modern Language Association. I ran this before but I wanted to show some interior pages along with it as well.

I learned so much about the beauty of elegant letterpress typography and printing from Kim Merker who taught the typographic laboratory class that I enrolled in at the University of Iowa. He was a teacher who truly inspired a student to have a vision of the very finest in printing.

Kim had just founded the university’s Windover Press, and It went on through the years to publish many magnificent books.

He was also involved with the Midwest Modern Language Association. He had a full schedule teaching classes and developing the new press so he turned the job of designing the 1969 MMLA bulletin over to me. It was not a letterpress publication but was printed offset by a commercial printing company off campus.

It was on this job that I realized that printers can’t necessarily print white on a rough dark paper stock and have it work visually. One more on-the-job learning experience.




pumpkins in a row
stock graphic design
Image by amboo who?
little pumpkins. I though this might work for graphic design later.


Design in the 1950's
stock graphic design
Image by Alki1
How we used display type back in 1959.
I cut out the letters for the word Russo from a printed sheet of type that my husband designed, then pasted it up with directions for the reduction size for the mechanical.

A very low cost project for artist Mike Russo, Portland, Oregon.
The roughest cheap paper stock, calligraphy for the text (no expense for set type), paste-up heading for the word Russo to be placed in the mechanical, and printed in one color. It was paste-up-paste-up etc. I bought rubber cement and thinner by the gallon.

No comments:

Post a Comment