Thursday, January 10, 2013

Nice Good Colleges For Graphic Design photos

Blast From The Past, From An Earlier Life...
good colleges for graphic design
Image by raider3_anime
About 15 years ago or so, I was a DJ of sorts... (Radio station "on-air talent", though it was just a community college station.)

There once was a time, around 1989-1992 or thereabouts, where I wanted to work in radio. I wanted to be the guy whose voice you heard in between the music and commercials. I knew it didn't pay much, unless you were one of the ultra-popular morning show personalities, but I thought it was fun. I learned it was work, nonetheless.

I took several semesters of radio production classes. I learned how to cue up records (On Technics SK-1200 or SL-1200 series turntables. All I knew was they were durable, reliable, and cost roughly USD0 each.) I learned how to cut and splice reel-to-reel tape, how to record onto "carts" (Kind of like the old 8-tracks, but not quite.), I had access to sound effects, music and old jingle libraries, and I was able to pick most of my own music to play over the air, bringing a few favorites from my personal CD collection a few times a week for my hours in the studio.
(And now, sadly, just about all of those skills are practically obsolete in the digital age. If you still play vinyl, if you scratch it or mix it, you have my admiration and respect. If you know what to do when a cassette tape snaps, or your reel to reel tape breaks, you're either me, someone who learned the same skills as me, or someone older than me. ^_^;)

This is a promotional poster from one of my shows at the time. Yeah, I was a die-hard Back To The Future fanboy, if the artwork wasn't a dead giveaway. ^_^;

Yeah, back around 1990, I drove a 1985 red (oxidized) Nissan Sentra 5-speed manual coupe. I had tons of fun with it until I fell asleep at the wheel one night after being up 20 hours straight, and plowed the car into a tree on the way back from a late night Rocky Horrror Picture Show presentation. (I was ok, car was totaled.)

This poster was created by adding hand-drawn artwork to text and text frames traced and enlarged from a 8.5" x 11" print, from an ancient graphic design program called "Arts & Letters"

After I wrecked my car, I tacked up a note to the poster encouraging people to wear seatbelts. Some punk took it upon themselves to deface the poster with stupid little blurbs like. "Thump, crash, car no more!" and other ilk. (Note the gratuitous Liquid Paper brushstrokes where I painted the offensive comments out.)

I kind of miss those days. Thankfully, since I have a ton of jingles, listened to hours of airchecks from the pros, and I have a feeling for how the good old shows go, and of course, the power of the internet (And sites like Stickam and Ustream), I could make it a reality one of these days.

Will I be one of those oldies show guys? Will I try to revive the joy of alternative music from the 1990s? Will I try to "relive" a life of clubbing I missed out on?

Or will I try to be like my "heroes" Hank and Jim, and try to go for a classic-style "pirate radio" show? All that matters is that I have fun while I'm doing it. (And I really think I can do that. ^_^;)

And with that, and all the writing and posting I've done hours ago, the energy is spent, the crystal is shattered, the soul jewel is dissolved, and I collapse, and drift into unconsciousness.

Adventures will happen this weekend, one way or the other. Stay tuned, space travellers!

Good night - Poster pics have been posted. Vinyl list has been updated. Battery for the Big Gun DSLR is charging. Memory card has been brute-force reformatted, because it was doing dumb stuff with the computer.

I sleep now. (collapse) - Oyasumi, Lum-chan! Oyasumi, Julie Anne...


Good Drinking Water and Life Expectancy
good colleges for graphic design
Image by Creativity+ Timothy K Hamilton
I'm just finishing a class in "Drawing for Design", that uses Adobe Illustrator. It has been quite a challenge. This is a jpeg version of a recent project I created, an "illustrated graph"

There is a dramatic correlation between life expectancy and the percent of people in a country who have access to an improved water supply.

My time spent on studies has drastically reduced my "flickr visiting" time. I hope to visit your photos again soon.
Illustrated-Graph-4web


War, What is it Good For?
good colleges for graphic design
Image by NazarethCollege
Amanda Adams ’09 shows off her piece of ceramic art “Fight in War to Live in Peace.”


Making Good Points
good colleges for graphic design
Image by NazarethCollege
With something for everyone, the gallery's visitors included neophytes and connoisseurs alike.

1 comment:

  1. Are you searching for the graphic design colleges in bangalore. BSD offers the best graphic design courses in bangalore India. Contact us for graphic design courses fees in bangalore Karnataka. Graphic designs admissions opens join bsd today!

    ReplyDelete